[jsword-devel] New Sword Path lookup

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 09:53:21 MST 2006

I have been working on creating a more pleasant experience for Mac
users since I now have a Mac myself. (How self-serving!)

Anyway, hidden unix directories are a bother on the Mac and don't do
things the "Mac" way (whatever that is)

As I have discovered (or at least think so), the "Mac" location for
application, per user settings are in ~/Library/Application Support/
appName.
There is a similar place for global settings, /Library/Application
Support. But JSword only uses per user settings.
So, rather than ~/.jsword, the Mac will have ~/Library/Application
Support/JSword.

Windows has a similar situation but is complicated by roaming vs non-
roaming profiles. This document provides great details:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3ak841sy.aspx

The upshot is that there is a per user "Application Data" directory
that should be used. So I am working on finding the correct
"Application Data" directory for each of the scenarios mentioned in
the document. And in that directory, there will be a JSword directory.

For the sake of backward compatibility. The ~/.jsword directory will
be moved and renamed.

The other part of the change is to be more Sword C++ friendly. It
defines a set of locations to manage downloads and to find sword
module directories. The upshot is that I am moving mods.d and modules
to a new location. On the Mac it is ~/Library/Application Support/
Sword and on Windows it is <per user>/Application Data/Sword.

Also, the behavior of Options -> Sword Books is changing. The problem
was that the path editor would snapshot the set of actual locations
and if a new location were added it would not be picked up
automatically. Now, the path editor defines additional places that
JSword should look in addition to its standard locations. These
additional locations take precedence over the standard locations.

The Path Editor should be changed to allow for move up/down, since it
is a prioritized list.

(Troy, after the Sword C++ engine 1.5.9 is released, I'll work on
adding these per user "Sword" locations to the C++ code.)

I should have this in tonight's nightly build, but the standard
disclaimer of gloom and doom of a nightly apply.