[jsword-devel] BibleDesktop on Mac

Kurt Andrews Kurt.W.Andrews at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 22 22:14:13 MST 2006

OOOh Boy a new toy!  I bought mine about the time I showed up on the
Sword lists, I had a rather large collection of Bible study software
from WordSearch, and I was looking for a replacement that would run
on the Mac.

Here is the Java environment that came installed on mine ( ) web
start is included as well.  I just stumbled across a page on the ADC
that looks like it has lots of good stuff.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/
Java14Development/index.html

It's  got me thinking about putting together an application bundle
for jsword and bibledesktop.  I think I can figure most of it out by
hacking the Eclipse application bundle.

The first things I installed were eclipse, subclipse, RDT, CDT, EPIC
and MySQL

Installing  the development tools that come on the CD is a must. It's
most of the GNU development suite + an IDE called XCode which looks
pretty cool, but other than some of the mac specific templates (like
the application bundles) described in the link above.  I still
haven't found it compelling enough to switch from Eclipse yet.

Ruby, Python and Perl are also installed at the factory.

I've also installed XMLMind's XXE and RenderX XEP 4 for work with
OSIS and my own writing, mostly for Bible study and Sunday school
classes.  I've just started using XML for Authoring and markup.  It
seems pretty complicated compared to ant build.xml and configuration
files, but since the underlying OS on the Mac is *NIX, I can use a
lot of scripting options to help me out.  Something I'd never bother
with on a Windows machine.

Enjoy... I know there are a couple of other people on the list who
use a Mac.  It'll be great to have another person to bounce ideas and
questions off of.

God Bless!

Kurt