[jsword-devel] Suggestion

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:37:48 MST 2005

Hi,

2 things to add - I *think* that large majority of the GBF and ThML
tags are supported, however I am very sure that we are not doing
sensible things with all of them, and there is probably no single
correct answer to what to do with them either since they both seem to
include elements of style (bold etc) where OSIS sensibly avoids
dictating style.
On the speed issue - I've not done tests, but I could well imagine
that creating an JDom/OSIS tree from GBF could be *faster* than from
an pure OSIS/XML data source. The reason being that both create the
tree using 'new Element("osis"); ...'. The OSIS parser creates SAX
events from the input stream. Without writing our own XML parser, we
are forced use on that incorporates code to check for all sorts of
error conditions and act in the Official Way. GBF on the other hand
has it's own parser that only needs to create an OSIS tree and can
therefore be simpler and maybe quicker.

However I think that converting everything to OSIS is a very good idea
just because the quality of the GBF and ThML sources is so very poor.
Re-generating them would enable us to clean them up a lot.

Joe.