[jsword-devel] Presentation and license question

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 07:32:46 MST 2005

Hi,

I think a handy question to ask is "who could sue us for what we are
doing?". I'm not suggesting that legal rescourse is a good idea, but
that the question can help sort issues out.

In our case since we own the GPL code, then I think we would have to
sue ourselves over this issue. I guess we could concieve of a
situation where someone that contributed without knowning we used
lucene later got cross, but that sounds even less likely than the
issue you linked-to ever being resolved in court, which is in itself
far less likely than the GPL itself being tested in court, which I'm
not sure has happened properly even now?

That said we ought to have a correct resolution to this issue, which I
think is to have a readme file somewhere that says "You are allowed to
link to these jar files whatever the GPL says". I thought I'd done
this once already, but I can't see it now. This action is one that the
FSF recommend anyway due to some other linking issue.

It is also worth remembering that virtually every time licenses come
up on jsword we start getting het up about the issues. So lets
remember not to repeat previous discussions.

Joe.