[jsword-devel] Various thoughts

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 20:49:10 MST 2005

I have been working with Troy to see if JSword and Sword can share indexes.
So far it looks very promising. One thing we had to agree upon was the
naming of the fields.
Ours are "name" and "body" for the verse reference and the verse text
respectively.
Sword's are "key" and "content". (They also have "strong")
Unless, there are any objections, I will be changing ours to match Sword's.

While we are not in a position to generate an index with Strong's
numbers, we can use one just fine.
Should we suggest that notes and footnotes be indexed as well? Anything
else? Morphology?
Transliterations of Hebrew and Greek? Transliteration of other
languages? Unaccenting of accented text?
Most of these are in the bug database for post 1.0.

The other thing we had to agree upon was which analyzer to use. We are
both using the same one now.

As long as we can agree on the names of the fields, the analyzer and the
values used for the keys
we can most likely use the same indexes.

Sword is storing their index in a "lucene" subdirectory of the directory
containing the module text.
For example, modules/.../ztext/kjv/lucene.
Should we do the same? I think the answer is dependent upon whether we
think that an index
should exist apart from a module. When we add the "Delete" button back
in the installer, it will
delete the entire module directory (e.g. kjv under ztext). If lucene is
a subdirectory, then that
will be deleted as well.

I noticed that JSword has its own search syntax and is doing a word at a
time search and then
merging the answer sets into a result.

 From looking at the lucene search syntax, it seems much richer than
what is present in JSword.
Would it make sense to add a pass through mode? For example, if the
search begins with a
particular prefix, say "lucene:" then the rest of the line would be
passed untouched.

Also, if the search did not begin with "lucene:", would it make sense to
translate it to an equivalent
lucene search and let lucene do it's magic?

I am in the process of refactoring the installer out of
org.crosswire.bibledesktop.book and
into a package of its own: org.crosswire.bibledesktop.book.install.
I came up with this name to parallel the
org.crosswire.jsword.book.install package name.

I will be working on various installer issues, which I have assigned to
myself in the bug database.
After that, I will be doing a thorough testing of the application to see
what bugs we have introduced
since 0.9.8. I have noticed some refresh problems related to displaying
passages.