[jsword-devel] RCP/SWT

Aleksander Rozman andy at triera.net
Sat Dec 31 07:45:21 MST 2005

DM Smith wrote:
>> 3. SWT is part of Eclipse, and while Eclipse works on most of
>> existing platforms, SWT does not. SWT works 100% on Windows and
>> Linux, but on other platforms it doesn't, at least not all versions
>> and not fully (SWT 1, SWT 2 are little bit older version and since
>> they have been out for long time, they became suported, SWT 3 still
>> has a lot of problems on most of platform). I know this as a fact,
>> since SWT 3.1 support (in Eclipse 3.1) in FreeBSD (which I also use
>> beside Win) was added just recently and NOT into Eclipse but as
>> separate entity. I imagoine that the same problems are with Mac and
>> Sun system, and others.
>
> Hmm, not good! I think then that we should probably continue to
> support Swing for the foreseeable future. We try to keep away from the
> bleeding edge in what we support (for example, we still develop with
> Java 1.4.2)
>
> There is also the problem of older platforms. One of our desires is to
> support missionaries, pastors, Christian schools and the like who run
> old hand-me-down machines. At some point BibleDesktop will outgrow an
> old platform. (For example, my old win 98 laptop with 32M ram and slow
> hard drive runs so slow that I don't like to do anything on it. I
> imagine that BibleDesktop would not be very usable. I have not
> actually tried it.)

Did you try to build with Java 1.3? Java 1.3 is still new version of
java, and if desktop runs on java 1.3, this could be used on older
computers. Running java programs is quite problematic. You need quite a
lot of ram in your computer. I would think that you would need at least
128 Mb for just running java, maybe by using older java (1.3) we could
lower RAM requirement, so that Bible desktop could also be run on older
computers. Usage of SWT is problematic for one other reason, it requires
a lot more RAM. So this would be a NO NO for older computers.

Andy