[jsword-devel] flashcards updates

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 05:34:21 MST 2004

Troy,
    I'm thinking of making a few more changes:
1) put the lessons in a separate jar.
2) Have two jnlp files, one with the jar and one without. (I want my
daughter to be able to use this for her English class)
3) Cleanup the unused code (e.g. the separate EditorFrame)
4) Use java.util.logging for debugging.
5) Use common.jar from jsword instead of copies of the classes. (This is
selfish of me. I only want to maintain one set of code) I am in the
process of removing most of the dependencies that common.jar has. So ist
deployment size should be pretty lightweight.

Let me know if there are any other changes that you would like. I
realize that I have changed the code so much that it probably won't be
maintainable in JBuilder. So, I will try to be available to make the
changes.

See below for response to your response.

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> DM,
>
> DM Smith wrote:
>
>> Made the following changes:
>> Fixed all the Hebrew vowel point clipping problems I could find.
>

> It looks like my version of java and font (not specifying a font, just
> using the default) might be the problem.  I'm upgrading java now.
> Every place Hebrew is displayed, it clips the bottom of the vowels.
> It looks like it's only clipping like the last 2 pixels, but that's
> enough to turn a segol into a sere-- actually, if I look close, I can
> see maybe the top pixel of the bottom dot of a segol.

Let me know if it is still a problem. I think I provided enough extra
space in the status bar on the quiz window, the displaying of the Hebrew
word either as a "Challenge" or as an "Answer" on the quiz window, in
the list of FlashCards on the Edit screen.

I did not change the height of the "front" editor on the Edit screen.

I am wondering whether you are actually specifying a font. I think
(meaning I have not tested it) that Java using the Windows Look And Feel
under WinXP will pick up the font that is set in Windows. In FlashCard,
it is using font names like "Dialog" in a couple of places. So I am
wondering whether it is picking up the Windows choice for a dialog font.

>> Fixed save. It was not hooked up.
>> Put the Flash Card Editor on the edit tab.
>

> I really like this.  The only feedback I would give is maybe make the
> 'Front' text edit box bigger or CENTER, so it grows on resize, instead
> of 'Back'.

Will do.

>> Fixed the ant build to not croak on ImportLesson.java (the build now
>> ignores everything in the migrate package/directory)
>

> Awesome, thank you.  I was thinking of maybe adding a 'utils'
> directory at the root, at the same level as 'app'.  David submitted a
> c tool to convert BibleWorks hebrew font encoded 2 column CSV files to
> flashcard files, and was wondering where to put this.  What do you think?

I think utils would be a fine place for the C code. The program needs a
few changes to make it produce valid *.flash files. It needs to do the
following:
a) output wordCount=
b) number the pairs. Currently they are like this:
word=...
answers=...
word=...
answers=...
But they need to be:
word0=...
answers0=...
word1=...
answers1=...

It would also be useful if the program took an option to provide a
friendly name and put that into the *.flash as:
lessonTitle=friendly name
But it is easy enough to add it manually.

I'd make the change, but I am only set up to do java. I don't have a
C/C++ build environment and have not set up Eclipse to build it.

>> Please provide feedback.
>

> Great work.  I'm really happy with the editor now-- it's the same idea
> as the old one, which I was familiar with, but yours is MUCH prettier
> and way more functional.  I'm really excited.
>
> My Hebrew prof thinks it's really cool too! :)

If I have time, I think I will be trying to import the list of 800
Hebrew words that Anthony provided.