[jsword-devel] Tabbed BookDataDisplay

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 08:08:54 MST 2004

I would like input on some thoughts on improving TabbedBookDataDisplay.

The TabbedBookDataDisplay is a bit of a bother for large passages. The
net result is that the user is "encouraged" to use the Passage sidebar,
which is not immediately obvious. I think some improvements would make
the the tabs nearly as useful as the Passage sidebar.

1) Optimize large passages (already noted that this is a problem). The
entire passage is gotten but only the first n verses is shown. Get only
the first tab's worth. This will take some thought as this is a design
change.

2) Have an orphan count, such that if the next tab has m (orphan count)
verses or fewer, then they are included in the previous tab. This could
be p% of max verses per tab. Orphan count , whether m or p, could be a
user option.

3) Rather than a "More tab", have as many as x (max tab count) tabs
prepopulated with the name. The contents are not populated until the tab
is selected. This would allow for a more random access approach to the
passage, in addition to the side bar. Rather than a more tab, there
would be a next and previous tab which would go to the next/previous tab
(or perhaps set of tabs.)

4) I would also like for these tabs to be more on the chapter boundary.
The notion is kind of like the orphan count idea.
If the orphan count does not bring the entire chapter to the current tab
and the current tab has more than one chapter and if there are fewer
than orphan count verses from the last chapter, start the next tab on
that chapter.