[jsword-devel] aa-experiment

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 17:26:34 MST 2004

I like it. I think that we should make it an option though for a couple
of reasons.
First, smaller fonts (like in the notes, which are 90% of the main font
size) are harder to read.
I played around with it and I think that MS Arial Unicode in 17 pt looks
very good.
At 18 point the font goes bold looking.
One way around this is not to make the font for notes smaller than that
of the body. (Which I would suggest anyway.)

Second, I read in a PC mag the other day that someone was complaining
that on his machine that the small letter 'i" looked gold. Turns out
that it was because of the anti-aliasing of the font and the convergence
problems of the user's CRT. Turning off "Font Smoothing" was recommended.

I have a question about the implementation. In the code you are grabbing
the Graphics object every time and then setting a hint on it. Is this
something that can be done once? Or does it need to be done everytime
the paint method is called?