[jsword-devel] Indexing

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 10:37:01 MST 2004

Hi,

DM Smith wrote:
> Another thought, would there be any advantage of having an index per
> testament? This would allow for the indexing and the searching to be
> multithreaded. Later we may want to add the ability to search for a word
> across multiple bibles.

I'm just catching up with e-mail a bit, and realizing that you're
ahead of me with searching, most of the points you made (that I've
deleted) made me think "Oh yeah!". I'm not following the above point.
Is the idea to allow searching across 2 Bibles - one OT only and one
NT only? Or is it 2 separate points?
I guess that indexing is waiting 99.99% of the time on the CPU and so
threading and the overhead of juggling 2 threads is only going to make
matters worse. If the hold-up varied between disk/memory/cpu then
threading might help, but I don't think it is.