[jsword-devel] Book installation

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 04:44:31 MST 2004

I am continuing to work on Book installation.

I have changed the code (but have not checked in) so that you can
re-install a book if there is a newer version. I don't like how I did it
because there are holes. I would appreciate input.

While I think it might be nice to know in advance whether a book has a
newer version, I am leaving that that until later. For now, when you
choose a book to download, if it is installed, it checks to see if there
is a more recent version. If there is not then it tells you the book is
already installed. Otherwise it allows the install.

The problem is that the modules have been around for a long time, but
most of them have a date of Aug 2, 2004. I presume that this is because
of maintenance on the server. So I could have downloaded a module last
year and it now seems newer because it has a new date.

Is there a better way to know the date of a module?

Some of the modules have a SwordVersionDate in the conf. And I don't
know how well maintained those dates are. For those that don't have
dates can we assume they are old?

Should I use the date of the conf in mods.z.tar.gz? Is it always updated
when the module is updated? Is it ever updated when the module is not
changed?

Or should we always allow the module to be re-installed, but ask for the
users confirmation?