[jsword-devel] Still lost in source

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 22:37:52 +0000

Excellent, thanks for trimming the jar files down, sorry I was a bit
slow applying it. I've done the next step and moved all the mapper files
to their own project entirely, called biblemapper. I've put the
sword-api compile steps back in so that anyone using ant as their
primary build tool will keep them up to date. They are still out of the
jars though. Does this make sense?

I've not included some of the changes to use ${ant.project.name} changes
for 2 reasons, firstly because the point of using the abstract version,
was originally to make the build file more re-usable, but as soon as we
start deciding how to cut things up, we are getting fairly un-reusable -
so I value simplicity more. Also as we move to more separated projects,
${ant.project.name} will change, and the jar file names won't make much
sense then. Please shout if you disagree.
I've also named the jar targets jar.foo rather than foo.jar so they
group together in alphabetical listings like the ant view in eclipse.

Do you know if the jar.notrequired property is a currently buggy because
ant properties are immutable when set?

I've added the following:
    <j2se version="1.4+" max-heap-size="256m"/>
to the .jnlp file because I was getting the following error from the
website:
    No JRE version found in launch file for this system

I also experimented with adding a DOCTYPE for a bit of validation, not
sure if it will break anything...

DM Smith wrote:

> I have a few modifications toward a solution to the download problem.
> The basic idea is to minimize download time by judiciously creating
> jar files. This will be especially meaningful in a WebStart
> environment where only changed jars are downloaded. If the nightly
> build were incremental (i.e. did not do a clean) and we only published
> jars that did not change, then WebStart could be used to deliver a
> nightly build.

I need to check what happens, but I think in effect the nightly build is
not 'clean'. You are right in saying that 'clean' is in the ant build
nightly targets, however we also pass in
-Dtarget.web=/var/tomcat4/webapps/jsword so whilst the target directory
is cleaned, the ${target.web} isn't.

Thanks,

Joe.