[jsword-devel] where can I help?

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 15:23:05 MST 2004

What is the emphasis of your grad degree. If I knew that I might be able
to suggest something pertinent to your studies.

Under the JSword [eclipse project] area you will find bugs.txt which
gives a roadmap of what is left. It notes most of what needs to be done
other than the bugs that we accidentally introduce with our changes. You
may see something in there that you would like to work upon.

In order to work on JSword, you will want to connect to CVS and download
the most recent changes. I recommend using Eclipse 3. They are at
release candidate 3 and will be at 5 by June 25. I expect that on the
28th that 3.0 will be released.

I have been helping for the last 6 months and the automated JUnit
testing has been left by the wayside. Further the build (via ant) that
does the testing is broken.

And there is very little useful documentation. The application has no
user documentation and the JSword and Common projects should have a lot
of documentation if they would be useful to an development community.

The problem that I see with doing either of these is that they are hard
to maintain once they are done, unless the product is mature. We are
nearing 1.0 so the code is changing less and less. We are pretty close
to a 1.0 release. So I imagine that it may be something that can be
tackled at this time. And be of real value.

Another area that needs attention is data quality. The various books
(Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries and Reading Lists) are encoded in
different ways. These are parsed and converted into OSIS 1.1 and then
transformed into HTML for display using XSLT. The transformation into
OSIS is problematic. Sometimes the data is bad. Sometimes it is parsed
incorrectly. Sometimes it is transformed incorrectly or inappropriately.
  It would be helpful to fix these. After 1.0, we will look at upgrading
to OSIS 2.0. A gotcha I see here is that verse markers might not
surround their verse and a verse marker may mark more than one verse.

Another unaddressed problem is BiDi text, [Bi-Directional] (e.g.
displaying Hebrew from right to left). Currently the text displays in
the correct order but the verses are displayed from left to right. The
net effect is that the verse numbers are on the left of the verse and if
two verses could fit on a single line, the second verse would be on the
right, when it should be on the left. Further, annotations/notes
probably should be on the left margin, but they are on the right.

I am working on internationalization (i18n) and localization (l10n)
support and am nearly done with that.

Let us know what you decide so we can collaborate better.