[jsword-devel] where can I help?

Joe Walker joe at eireneh.com
Sun Jun 20 15:08:11 MST 2004

Hi Eric,

Good to have you on board.
The first steps to take would be:
1. Download Eclipse (I notice that 3.0RC3 is just out) If you have
another favorite IDE, then that's fine, but most of the developers here
use Eclipse to you will probably find it easier to get going using Eclipse
2. Connect to the JSword CVS repo.
http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/cvs.html has details, but I notice that
the note about OSIS schema on that page is out of date now.
The page should probably be update to include that fact that we've just
finished a fairly serious refactor to split the project into separate
modules for the GUI, the core library and so on. You should check out:
- jsword
- bibledesktop
- common
(although there is nothing to stop you getting all the modules, but
beware jsword-support is quite large)
3. Build and run BibleDesktop.
4. Tell us how you got on!

The next most important job for the project as a whole is to update the
website to reflect the recent re-factoring. I'm taking a short break
from JSword work to get a few other projects done, but I'll be back
soon, and I'll be around on e-mail.

Joe.