[jsword-devel] OSIS

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 10:27:53 MST 2004

I think that J-Sword's handling of modules is complex. Perhaps I am not
the best to comment but here is one anyway:

The general architecture of J-Sword is that there is a translator/parser
for each encoding of a module. When a passage is displayed it is parsed
and then converted into OSIS. The parsers are written to be somewhat
fault tolerant, but to my knowledge, they do not fix bad data. I have
found that in some cases the parsers just get confused. There is an
attempt to log faults that are found so that the original can be cleaned up.

I think I read in the archives that when Joe and others did the parser
work, they had to fix up a lot of the modules to get j-sword to work.

It should be fairly easy to write a mod2osis using j-sword. There is
sample code on how to do it for a passage in
org.crosswire.jsword.examples.APIExamples.java.