[jsword-devel] Updates

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 05:59:10 MST 2004

After writing the note, I realized that it is really long. So I thought
that I would give a list of the key points.
1) KeyList or Passage should be the parameter that is consistently used
in the API not Key or Verse.
2) Blurring makes sense for all books.
3) The indexing of Bibles is lossy.
4) JSword ignores the Deutrocannonical books when present.

Extending a class does not make the definition recursive. If the class
is recursive there is no need for an extended class. The classic
definition of a tree is that a node contains one or more nodes. Thus the
node class has a methods void add(Node), Node getChild(int i), and so forth.

On further thought of making Key have a limited recursive definition
does not make sense to me. Here is what went through my head regarding
Key, KeyList, Passage, ....

The problem with KeyList extending Key is that it is not a true ISA
relationship. From examining the code for the usage of a Key, a Key
describes one location in a book and the length of a  Key is from that
location to the next sequentially larger key. And a KeyList is simply an
ordered list of possibly non-contiguous Keys. The order is not limited
to order by sequence, but it usually is used in that way.

Within the code, there are places that need a list of references and a
couple of places that need individual references.

When I looked at OSIS 2, I noticed that the definition of verse
boundaries was deliberately fuzzy. A translation may collect one or more
biblical verses into a single OSIS verse. It may also split a biblical
verse into two or more OSIS verses ( 1.6a, 1.6b, 1.6c, ...). I guess it
is a recognition that verses were added after the Bible was written and
while they have been canonicalized, some "translations" (e.g. the
Message and other paraphrases) do not adhere to them. And some for
typographical reasons, refine them further by splitting them.

Since we are ultimately mapping a particular book's markup into OSIS, it
seems reasonable to consider the OSIS definition.

In looking at the actual definition of Key, it has two parts name and
parent. In the code, getParent is used in one and only one place and
that is in ReferencePane which is in "limbo". The notion of parent is
not actually that of a parent in the sense that it forms a tree. The
code does set the parent via various constructors, but in each case it
has a key being a member of a list. But in all cases the list is not a
member of another list. Thus the only real value to the class Key is
that it provides a name. I think it would be better to get rid of the
notion of parent add an interface Nameable or Titleable or something
that represents that getName returns a title that can be displayed and
make Key extend it. KeyList would extend Nameable but not Key. KeyList
would contain Keys.

With regard to your question on blurring, I think that the notion of
blurring is probably reasonable for all books. Generally a book has some
kind of divisional boundaries (thus the OSIS div element). And many have
sub-divisional boundaries (thus the recursive definition of a div
element). For example a dictionary has definitions, each of which belong
to a "first letter". The dictionary as a whole is made up of letters
containing definitions.

The interface of blur(int amount, int restriction) makes sense if it is
though of as a characteristic of the book and not a characteristic of a
reference. The reference is a marker in a book and amount is a measure
of smallest unit of location identity within the book. And the
restriction should be seen as which divisional boundaries are going to
be observed. Thus restriction is probably the wrong word to use and
perhaps something like division, or depth would be better.

If restriction is defined by the markup then it would follow the
publishers intention of layout. The problem with following the markup is
that CrossWire provides indexes to the start and length of each of the
references in a book. It does not provide indexes to divisional markers
other than testament for Bibles.  The other divisional markers are
deduced for Bibles.

While I am on the subject of the indexes, they are lossy. This can be
easily seen in the view source's original tab. There is no markup around
the verse. Also, if you take the start and length of one verse and add
them you will find that it may not mark the start of the next verse as
contained in the index. Between v1start + v1length and v2start is markup
and/or content. You can see it in the KJV w/ Strong's.

The upshot of this is that it leads to several potential problems
because each verse has to be handled separately (as is currently done in
JSword). There is no possibility of grabbing a passage as a whole. If
the passage is not grabbed as a whole, there is no possibility of a
pass-through mode for OSIS. The OSIS that is built from getData is not
the same as the OSIS contained in the book. There is no way to discover
the true divisional boundaries of a work as the markup may be missing.

In looking at Verse, RocketPassage (BitSet) and BibleInfo, it is clear
that this is a great optimization for the Old and New Testaments.
However, at least one of the Bibles has the Deutrocannonical books (aka
Apocrypha) and these are ignored by JSword. I am not catholic, and I
have not had much interest in reading them, but shouldn't we include
them if they are present?