[jsword-devel] Program installer and install package

Mark Goodwin jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:51:07 +0000

Ok; having tried to fix the IA installers, I've come to the conclusion
that it's a waste of time;  ZeroG are not releasing a 'Now!' edition of
the latest version of InstallAnywhere, and the last release has bugs
that will affect many users (most notably that the installer fails on
machines running Fedora Core 1 due to new CLI args to the 'head'
utility).  Also, I can't resolve the issue Joe encountered.

I propose we do the following:
1) Andy has already done some work with NSIS; I suggest we use that as
the basis for our Windows installer.
2) I will create some installation scripts for the Unix users -
something along the same lines of the IA Now! VM-less installers won't
be hard to do.
3) I will fix the JNLP problems so people can install via Web Start.

I think this covers all bases; users of OS X should have access to Web
Start (It's definitely shipped with Panther), Unix users can either use
Web Start or my installer, and Windows users can use Web Start and
Andy's NSIS installer.

What do you all think?