[jsword-devel] Suggestion for improving display

Eric Galluzzo engalluzzo at insightbb.com
Mon Aug 30 20:30:19 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 13:08, DM Smith wrote:
> Here is a mock up:

[snip]

Hmmm.  I'm not sure I like this terribly: 5 lines is an awful lot of
real estate.  Let me see if I can reduce it by comparing with the
Mozilla interface.

In Mozilla:
      * The "address bar" contains both toolbar buttons and the editable
        address field.
      * Searching is done either in a sidebar or by typing something in
        the address field and selecting "Search for XYZ" in the
        dropdown.
      * There is no equivalent of the bible dropdown, the restriction or
        passage fields.

Applying this to the Bible Desktop, we could perhaps reduce the amount
of real estate required by:
      * Getting rid of the radio buttons and putting the search and
        match and the corresponding fields in a sidebar
      * Getting rid of the radio buttons and displaving a plain text
        field that "popped down" a search and/or match option
      * Putting the "Find" field on the same line as some of the other
        fields (say, the Restriction field, which shouldn't be too
        large)

Another possibility is to have just a plain text field with a "More
Options >>" button that pops down the other four lines.  Selecting a
radio button in the "more options" section would cause the plain text
field to behave in that manner, and the settings would persist even if
the "More Options <<" button were pressed in order to reclaim the real
estate.  Does that make any sense at all?  It's kinda late. :)

        - Eric