[jsword-devel] Bug Tracker / JSword

Mark Goodwin goodwinster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 15:38:17 MST 2004

Well, my quick play ended up being not so quick.

I got it working.. kinda...

I spent a couple of minutes looking into invoking PHP via a CGI
wrapper before I noticed that there is support for invoking PHP from a
servlet.  Perfect, I thought.

I managed to build a version of PHP4 with servlet API support, and got
a Tomcat instance up and running PHP.  Then I got PHP talking away
happily to PostgreSQL, and got phpbt running happily over the top.
Saw enough to think it looks like a nice system.

Unfortunately, this is were things went a bit wrong.  Turns out the
servlet support in PHP4 is experimental and is no longer supported
(joy of joys).  After a few requests, PHP dies and brings the entire
servlet container down with it.

Note to all you free software developers out there; If your product
has some fancy feature thats experimental, broken and unsupported, it
might be nice to document the fact somewhere.

So, I'm back to wondering about invoking PHP from CGIs...

I may have another look late next week.  I'll see how I'm doing for spare time.

Failing that, it's back to Scarab.

MarkG