[jsword-devel] Activity report

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 03:02:45 MST 2004

So we don't step on each other's toes, I thought I'd say what I am
working on. Basically, I am looking at doing easy stuff.
1) More whitespace cleanup. Getting rid of trailing whitespace on lines.
2) Add popup to tab. (Thanks Joe for the SwingUtilites advice. Now it
pops up only on the tab, not on the content)
3) Show/hide of Passage Sidebar.
4) Fix of the LAF option and general cleanup of LookAndFeelUtil.
5) Simplified the tooltip for search. (Hopefully, this can go into help)
6) Made Bible selection combo a better size. It now is as wide as the
widest book it contains and it is a lot shorter.
7) Changed "New Window" to "New Bible View"
8) Changed the "..." button on the Passage Lookup card. Also
repositioned the "Go" Button to not move when flipping between "modes".
I also tightened the display of the entry widgets a bit.
9) Make the readings prettier.

Joe, let me know when you are ready for this. I assume we should wait
until 0.9.8 is released.

Several have suggested putting a close button on the JTabbedPane. I have
looked through the code and googled for solutions. It is not easy. I can
put one on the container holding the JTabbedPane. And using
GridBagLayout I can have it on top of  the JTabbed pane. So it will look
like it should unless too many tabs are opened up. Then it floats over
the upper rightmost tab.

In the bug parade there is a RFE that arbitrary components can be used
for tab labels. It is "work in progress" and slated for tiger, whenever
that is. So I suggest that we wait until then. Hopefully the popup will
suffice until then.

Next steps:
I am thinking about splitting out the BibleView management out of
Desktop and into its own class. The idea is to have one class be
responsible for hooking things together and the other class responsible
for doing work. I have done this before and it significantly simplifies
the startup code.

I would also like to tackle the Installer issues:
1) Initial startup wizard when nothing is installed. (Joe, you have the
start of this)
2) More intuitive layout of the page. (The change fo the labels is a
good start)
3) Request for permission to access internet.
4) Automatically getting the mods.d.tar.gz. (Refresh issue)
5) Checking for changes periodically and notify user of new materials.
6) Add language as a filter and as a level to the tree.
7) Fix the display of the conf. It does not wrap when it should. And
when I had it doing it, it did not respond to resizing. Also, I want to
order the keys. And have a novice and an expert mode that would show
some or all of the conf.
8) Figure out how to get and display the size of the module.