[jsword-devel] Bible Desktop Notes Just need to add support for the personal commentary. Interface: [Main Window] I would like to be able to maintain the look of the desktop once I set it. For instance, the reference pane has a tendency to slide back to the right, nearly closing it, when I open/close a new Bible View tab (tabbed mode). Either add a small close button (x) to each tab, or place the close button to the side when more than one tab is visible. [Verse List Sidebar] Consider a context menu to open a verse in a new tab. [Reference Pane] Please make the bottom pane hide-able. Might be nice to do the same with the top pane as well. Once you have your reference, you might want to hide the reference selection list to give yourself more space for the reference material. The middle pane seems to hide, depending on the reference type. Perhaps make this an Outlook-style sidebar. Tooltips indicate that Alt-M controls both sub-Window mode and Match. Only thing is, I'm not certain that it holds true at present. Alt-M will make Match the current choice.

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 08:59:19 MST 2004

That is the longest subject line I have ever seen!!!! :)

This is good input. Thanks. See below for my thoughts and answers.

Don Parris wrote:

> Desktop Options Dialogue:
>	[Bibles]
>	I like the ability to set default
> version, dict., & commentary.
>
>	[Sword]
>	I assume you can set/change
> path options in case you've got a CD, or downloaded
>	the whole kit to a
> local directory.

You are supposed to be able to set more than one, but I have not tried it.

>	[Passages section]
>	What is "Persistent Naming"?

If persistent naming is off then when you enter Genesis 1.1, it is
converted to Gen 1:1. That is it is converted to standard abbreviation
and notation. It will also simplify ranges so if a range encompasses all
the verses in a chapter (e.g. Gen 1:1-ff) it will change it to Gen 1.

> How do the Blurring Rules work, exactly?
>	Book Case - What is the purpose
> of this?

This option only affects search. If your search request were:
aaron ~5 , moses
it would find verses with aaron within 5 verses of moses
The question is are there any limits to within? Do references in
adjacent books count? How about adjacent chapters?
If Blurring Rule is set to none, it might find a reference of aaron at
the end of one book and moses at the beginning of the other.
If Blurring Rule is set to Book, then within is scoped to the same book.
If Blurring Rule is set to Chapter, then within is scoped to the same
chapter.

Personally, I would suggest a change that ~ means chapter, ~a means all
(currently none), and ~b means book.

>	[Readings]
>	You gave me only one choice.  Will there be other
> options?
>
>	[Application]
>	Look & Feel - Can this be changed?  How?
>
>   (1)Do I have to know what to write - and how do I know that? or

You have to know the magic string.
For example, try:
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel
com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif..MotifLookAndFeel
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel
Not all of these are supported on a given platform and on other
platforms there may be other allowable ones.
(I just tried it and there is a bug. It won't allow it to be changed)

>	  (2)Will
> I see other options available?  Skinnable Bible apps?  Cool!

If it is defined as a look and feel that is part of the download, then
yes, it should work.

>	Tabbed vs.
> MDI mode is self-exaplantory (pretty much).
>
>	[Bible Display]
>	Converter
> - What is this?  What does it do?
>	Configurable Stylesheet - presumably,
> you'll add other stylesheets?

This lists the xslt that converts from OSIS to the HTML that is
displayed to the user.
So far we only have one listed as it is a very complicated piece of
code. (not at all simple, as the name suggest)
(It dawns on me that for pick-lists that only have one option and no
means of adding another, that we should not present the option.)

>	[ADVANCED] - Why a second Path eidtor?

This path editor is for the code for JSword, Common and BibleDesktop.
This way when errors are encountered, it will display them in context.

I have thought about including the *.java in the jar or having a
src.jar, that this feature would use instead. That way, this option
would not be needed. It would just read the source from the jar.

> [Reports] - Might consider renaming this to "Errors" or "Error Reporting"
>
> [XSLT] - What use is this to a user?

It is a performance option. It is there for developers. I have never
used it (always left it as yes)  so I don't know why it is an option.

>	[Passage] - How does each of the default
> passage types affect the user?

Don't know. I'll leave this for someone else to answer. If they don't
I'll dig in the code to figure it out.

>	[About Dialogue] - Adding the tabs is kind
> of neat.
>
>	Books Dialogue:
>	Notes & Questions for the help file
>
>Below you'll find a few observations, and my questions about certain
>features.  I'm asking the questions in order to compile the help text.  The
>observations are geared toward the usability issue.
>
>-------------------
>Bible Desktop Notes
>-------------------
>
>Just need to add support for the personal commentary.

I have added it to bugs.txt for post 1.0 under general.

>Interface:
>[Main Window]
>I would like to be able to maintain the look of the desktop once I set it.
>For instance, the reference pane has a tendency to slide back to the right,
>nearly closing it, when I open/close a new Bible View tab (tabbed mode).

This is two requests as I understand it.
1) The split pane sometimes automatically adjusts while the program is
running.
    I have added this to bugs.txt.
2) When starting the program it would be nice to have the same state as
when the program was closed.
    We have adding user preferences to bugs.txt. I have added this to
that entry.

>Either add a small close button (x) to each tab, or place the close button
>to the side when more than one tab is visible.

I am working on a popup like Mozilla with New, Close, and Close All
(perhaps close others)

>[Verse List Sidebar]
>Consider a context menu to open a verse in a new tab.

I have added it to bugs.txt.

>[Reference Pane]
>Please make the bottom pane hide-able.  Might be nice to do the same with
>the top pane as well.  Once you have your reference, you might want to hide
>the reference selection list to give yourself more space for the reference
>material.  The middle pane seems to hide, depending on the reference type.
>Perhaps make this an Outlook-style sidebar.

Could you explain when/why you would want to hide the bottom pane?

>Tool tips indicate that Alt-M controls both sub-Window mode and Match.  Only
>thing is, I'm not certain that it holds true at present.  Alt-M will make
>Match the current choice.

There are other inconsistencies as well. I have added this to bugs.txt.