[jsword-devel] Tabbed View Popup

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:38:00 MST 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:12:33 -0400, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am working on getting a popup to work on the tab view to open, close
> and close all. Out of habit, I keep right clicking on the tab.
>
> I am finding that the BibleViewPane is passing mouse events that it does
> not handle to its container, So I am getting the popup not just on the
> tab itself, but over the background of BibleViewPane. I don't think this
> is that big a deal, but I wanted some feedback. If you know how to block
> it let me know.

I'm fairly sure you can ask SwingUtils (or something) what component
the mouse is over, or what component is at (x,y) which could come from
the mouse event.
If the answer isn't the tab then drop it?

> Also, the popup does not work if there are no tabs in TDIViewLayout.
> Which is the case if there is one BibleViewPane. This means that the
> second tab needs to be created with the "File" menu. It would work if we
> always showed a tab in TDIViewLayout. I think that if we add the popup
> ability we will want to make a tab always show.

Having no popup menu when there is no tabs means you can't close the
only "tab" (good!) and you cant close the other tabs that don't exist
(good!). Having to use the file menu might not be a huge hassle?

> I am also thinking that another close method would be good "Close
> others". I use this all the time in Mozilla.

Can't say I've ever used it, but I guess choice is good when it isn't
too confusing and I don't tink it is here.

> Unless there is a great desire for this, I plan to hold off on
> submitting it until 0.9.8 is released (any day now!)

Hopefull tomorrow, we'll see.

> I am thinking about a similar popup for MDIViewLayout, but I am not sure
> what its semantics should be, as every window already has a close box.

I'd say right clicking on a window title bar was not an obvious thing
to do and the main reason for adding this (to make close easier) isn't
important due to the close box as you say, so I'd ignore it.

Thanks,