[jsword-devel] Usability testing ...

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 05:24:01 MST 2004

Mark Goodwin wrote:

>I think tar.jar is used by both installers to unpack mods.tar.gz -
>perhaps removing it would be a bad idea.

Yes, it would be very bad.

>mods.tar.gz is used to obtain the metadata on the available books; can
>you think of an alternative way of getting this (preferably without
>resorting to parsing html)?

The Java Tar code is public domain, not licensed. We can do with it as
we see fit.

The options I see are:
1) Distribute tar.jar via a different mechanism.
    a) put the code into another jar that does not have the problem
    b) put the code into common as com.ice, exactly as is.
    c) put the code into common as org.crosswire.tar, keeping only what
we need.
        While I generally am against maintaining 3rd party code, we use
very little of the package
        and it is really straightforward.
2) Force everyone to upgrade to Java 1.4.2 or greater.
3) Convince the Sword community to maintain both a mods.d.zip and a
mods.d.tar.gz.

Personally, I like the last one the best. It removes one more dependency
in our code.