[jsword-devel] Usability testing ...

Mark Goodwin goodwinster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 07:53:02 MST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 06:08:23 +0100, Joe Walker <joseph.walker at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> - Remember the tar.jar failure to download/validate on MacOSX? The
> problem is not MacOSX but JDK 1.4.1, Which will probably mean quite a
> few MacOS users since that has been the default for a while (Mark?)

I think some 10.2 users, and most 10.3 users will be running 1.4.1

> - We need some sort of wizard to run when we start to help users
> download their first book. It could be as simple as a dialog box
> explaining what to do.

Agreed.

> - A language filter on the books download dialog would be really useful.

Definately.

> - The splash and desktop icons look naff. (I've got some artwork that
> I've been meaning to spruce up a bit)

The icons fit right in with the metal look'n'feel.  We could probably
use a different set for each major platform.

> - The function of the tabs might be more obvious if they were there
> from the start. Some discussion on this might be useful, though
> because it does help to unclutter the place.

Not sure about this.

> -The whole function of the passage list sidebar is confusing. The
> opening sequence after installation of books went: "click on reading,
> look at text, click on > to open passage list sidebar, select passage,
> get confused, click delete, get repeating error messages requiring jvm
> restart. I think that bar can be useful, maybe we need to hide it a
> bit more so that it is only found by the more advanced users that will
> make use of it? And maybe we need some sort of explanation as to what
> blur does, and why it will do nothing to a whole chapter.

I really like the sidebar; I think searches would be less useful
without it.  I think we need to fix it and hide it better.

> - The difference between Search and Match are not explained, and many
> people will expect search to be able to do what Match does anyway -
> Maybe match is just a mis-feature? (and if so should be switch to
> Lucene indexing?)

I don't think match is a mis-feature.  I use it more than plain search.