[jsword-devel] Using the Personal Commentary in JSword

Joe Walker joseph.walker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 00:23:39 MST 2004

Don Parris <evangelinux at matheteuo.org> wrote:
>...There are two questions I need to ask.
>
> (1)  When I click on a module to download in the "books" dialogue, it takes forever for the highlighting to appear.  In fact, I discovered that I can click on the module, then click install, and the JSword will start the dl process immediately, without the highlighting.  But is that a minor bug?  Or is just that Java is kind of slow on my already slow machine?

It does sound like a bug, but I am tempter to blame some combination
of Sun, Linus, X and your Video card manufacturer!
That part of the process is threaded, so downloading happens in the
background and it could be a high enough load to slow down the redraw
thread, but I'm not sure Swing should be even allowing the thread to
start before some basic re-draw is done.

> (2)  How can I use the personal commentary in JSword?  I mean, how do I edit it to store my notes?  Is that possible via JSword?  If not, can I edit it with a standard text editor, and then just see it when I run JSword?

I think it is safe to say that we don't support presonal commentaries
at the moment, because I'm not sure of their format, and if you can
edit them with a text editor then they are not in normal Sword format.
In addition we set all the views to read-only! I think it should be
added to bugs.txt as something to be added.