[jsword-devel] Verse markup in OSIS modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 11 04:12:50 MST 2004

DM Smith wrote:

> I misunderstood an example in OSIS 2.0 User's Manual where I saw:
> And I thought that the p tag was being used to markup verses.
> According to the manual the use here indicates what verses are
> contained. I am not sure how such an attribute would be useful.

Yup, that's right.  I don't think that example is conformant OSIS.  I
think marking a single osisID value on multiple elements (e.g. a <p> and
an embedded <verse>) isn't legal--at least not under normal
circumstances.  We allow a scope attribute on <div> elements that has a
function similar to the intended use here, but that doesn't exist on

> WRT to sID and eID verse milestones being a best practice. All I saw in
> the OSIS User Manual section 11 was a rule that within a document that
> one either uses a verse container model or a verse milestone model but
> not both.

I could be wrong about the "best practice" assertion.  Or... maybe the
manual is.  It's still a draft after all.

> Since structural markup can span several verses and even split verses it
> seems to me that any richly tagged Bible will have to use the verse
> milestone model.

Exactly, and as a result, the milestone method is recommended, if not
actually stated as a best practice, and would be required in most rich
documents.

> WRT to using verse markup as the means of rendering verse numbers, I am
> not sure I fully understand. If I go to the OSIS portal and download a
> Bible and then render a chapter of it in XSLT, what would I use to
> render the verse number? And if two or more verses are spanned by a
> single verse element how would that be rendered? E.g. (from the manual)
> <verse sID="Esth.1.1-Esth.1.2" osisID="Esth.1.1 Esth.1.2" n="1-2"/>
> King Xerxes of Persia lived in his capital city of Susa and ruled one
> hundred twenty-seven provinces from India to Ethiopia.
> <verse eID="Esth.1.1-Esth.1.2"/>

That statement is restricted to matters pertaining to Sword.  We've
always used our static versification data as the basis for rendering
verse numbers.  When you grab the contents of Esth 1:1 in the example
above, you would normally just print a "1" before the verse.  If you're
using the verse tags as the basis for rendering, you would read the
contents of the osisID and print a value like "1-2" before the verse.
You would also have the ability to print verse numbers before additional
verses contained within a single verse record in a Sword module.

> (As I re-read all this I think it comes across as argumentative, but I
> don't mean it to be. I really am looking for a greater understanding of
> OSIS.)

Not at all.  I realize you're just asking for clarification.

--Chris