[jsword-devel] Re: JSword license

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:03:34 +0100

Mike Kienenberger wrote:

>Joe Walker <joe@eireneh.com> wrote:
>

>>We don't provide source for those libraries, but I suppose we could.
>>I need to have another look at the license. I made the assumption that
>>in the question: "I am writing free software that uses non-free ..." The
>>term *free* meant GPL, although that seems not to be correct.
>>

>Most of the approved open source licenses (but not all -- see the original
>bsd for example) can be redistributed under GPL by narrowing/restricting the
>terms of the original license.  So they are not "free", but they can be
>"made free."  :-)

But not Apache and IBM P.L. (JUnit/BSF) which covers most of the libs we
use.
See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

I would say that a legal module ought to be compulsory in all uni comp.
sci courses! I would have found it faaaar more useful than my AI or HCI
or Modular2 modules.

If you want to submit your sources that's fine. There is a
jsword-support cvs module that would be a good home for it.
Thanks, I'm off to gnu-legal.

Joe.