[jsword-devel] jsword under RH9

Paul Price jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:23:29 -1000

G'day guys.

	I'm having a horrible time trying to get some sort of Bible
package running under RedHat 9.  I've downloaded and installed sword,
along with a few modules.  I've tried gnomesword, but it appears very
unstable (along with being downright painful to build).  I've now
turned to jsword, and am having trouble getting it going as well.  I've
installed the Sun Java package (j2sdk-1_4_2_01-linux-i586.rpm).  I got
the jsword-0.9.5-bin.tar.gz file and extracted it.  Then I include the
java executable in my path, and try to run jsword:

price@mithrandir:/home/price/temp>cat jsword-0.9.5-bin.tar.gz | gunzip
| tar -xvf -
price@mithrandir:/home/price/temp>cd jsword-20030420/bin/
price@mithrandir:/home/price/temp/jsword-20030420/bin>set path = (
$path /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin )
price@mithrandir:/home/price/temp/jsword-20030420/bin>chmod u+x
jsword.sh
price@mithrandir:/home/price/temp/jsword-20030420/bin>./jsword.sh
ing.book.Splash(ERROR) Failed to load prediction times
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/price/.jsword/splash.properties
(No such file or directory)
[... a whole heap of "at" lines I can send if you need them]
         at
org.crosswire.jsword.view.swing.desktop.OptionsAction.createConfig(OptionsAction.java:64)
         at
org.crosswire.jsword.view.swing.desktop.Desktop.<init>(Desktop.java:109)
         at
org.crosswire.jsword.view.swing.desktop.Desktop.main(Desktop.java:84)

I get an introductory window (JSword, v0.9.2 on a background of
Genesis), at the bottom of which it says: "Creating GUI: Loading
Configuration System".  And then it just sits there.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Paul.
<><