[jsword-devel] Greetings and a couple of questions

Darren Remington jsword-devel@crosswire.org
30 Nov 2003 01:11:37 -0500

Joe Walker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what OS you are using. On windows the installer creates a
> start menu item, it should do similar on MacOS and Linux too.
>
> I use Eclipse all the time for development, the project source
> contains .project, .source and laucher files to help development using
> eclipse, however it should work with any IDE. I've also used together
> and jbuilder in the past.
>
> We do however use Swing and not SWT. I've considered SWT a number of
> times but I don't think it is the right tool just now for 2 reasons.
> Firstly the API is supposed to be difficult compared to Swing (which
> is already better understood my many developers) and secondly the
> eclipse sub-project to generalize eclipse to be a generic application
> framework has only just got going (I believe eclipse3.0M5 contains the
> first bits of work)
>
> However I do like SWT's concept of using native widgets so anyone
> wanting to write a SWT frontend would be most welcome.
>
> Joe.

Joe,

Well, there's the first problem that I've got to overcome - getting the
correct project file. I downloaded jsword-0.9.6-linux-novm.bin from the
JSword download page: http://www.crosswire.org/jsword/download.jsp

After installing JSword to my user-directory, the JSword directory has
the following contents:
[Darren@Frankenstein JSword]$ ls -la
total 120
drwxrwxr-x    6 Darren   Darren       4096 Nov 22 20:18 .
drwx------   84 Darren   Darren       8192 Nov 30 01:01 ..
drwxrwxr-x    3 Darren   Darren       4096 Nov 22 14:29 bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Darren   Darren      44235 Nov 22 14:29 JSword
-rw-------    1 Darren   Darren        946 Nov 22 20:18 jsword.jnlp
-rwxrwxr-x    1 Darren   Darren       3344 Nov 22 14:29 JSword.lax
-rw-rw-r--    1 Darren   Darren      39302 Nov 22 14:29 lax.jar
drwxrwxr-x    2 Darren   Darren       4096 Nov 22 14:29 lib
drwxrwxr-x    7 Darren   Darren       4096 Nov 22 14:29 resource
drwxrwxr-x    2 Darren   Darren       4096 Nov 22 14:29 UninstallerData
[Darren@Frankenstein JSword]$ pwd
/home/Darren/JSword

What files do I need to download to set up a development directory for
JSword and where do I find them?

Thanks for your patience.

Darren