[jsword-devel] BIBLE MAPS

bible maps jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 02:16:19 -0500

 MAPPING BIBLE LOCATIONS WITH
LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE

I put several other people in the Cc address who may or may not be
interested, so don't click on Reply. If interested join the group or you
can e-mail me at biblemaps@juno.com
I surfed the web to find sites/people who have an interest in bible maps.
Some ancient cities can be located, others are only estimated.

There are hundreds of maps is the problem. I think I have came up with
some ideas on how to develop a universal map.
I paid big money for a couple bible Atlases. They are missing all kind of
information and they fill it up with pictures of other stuff.

If you provide a computer mapping program to locate longitude and
latitude of cities, you can send one post which will go into our
archives.
The subject line should have $ Description $ to indicate it is a
commercial product.

For the rest of us into bible maps because of our interest, I can explain
the general idea. To follow up on the expanded idea or contribute your
ideas, join the group.
When you scroll down, click on NO Mail.
This option stops any e-mail from coming to your in box, but allows you
to post to the group.
If you chose no mail, you can read your post and the post of others from
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bible_maps/messages

This idea works with a printed out wall map and a printed index, or it
works on the computer.

Now when I look in the back of my Bible Atlas, I see the names of cities
and get a whole bunch of pages it is on... then I have to go to that page
and search to find it.
Wonder if instead there was a big wall map with the grids on it and an
index like this.
ACCO` NORTH 32.88 EAST 35.14 ~ ESTIMATED
ARAD` NORTH 31.2 EAST 35.03 ~ ESTIMATED
ASHDOD` NORTH 31.74 EAST 34.64 ~ ESTIMATED
ASHDOD` NORTH 31.74 EAST 34.66 ~ ESTIMATED
ASHKELON` NORTH 31.64 EAST 34.52 ~ ESTIMATED
BEERSHEBA` NORTH 31.22 EAST 34.82 ~ ESTIMATED
BERYTUS` NORTH 33.86 EAST 35.48 ~ ESTIMATED
BETH-SHEAN` NORTH 32.44 EAST 35.53 ~ ESTIMATED
BETH-ZUR` NORTH 31.59 EAST 35.05 ~ ESTIMATED
BYBLOS` NORTH 34.1 EAST 35.64 ~ ESTIMATED
CROCODILONPOLIS` NORTH 32.52 EAST 34.9 ~ ESTIMATED
DAMASCUS` NORTH 33.47 EAST 31.25 ~ ESTIMATED
DOR` NORTH 32.6 EAST 34.91 ~ ESTIMATED
ECDIPPA` NORTH 33 EAST 35.09 ~ ESTIMATED
ELATH` NORTH 29.55 EAST 34.91 ~ ESTIMATED
EN-GEDI` NORTH 31.44 EAST 35.34 ~ ESTIMATED
GAZA` NORTH 31.48 EAST 34.43 ~ ESTIMATED
GEZER` NORTH 31.82 EAST 34.86 ~ ESTIMATED
HEBRON` NORTH 31.53 EAST 35.08 ~ ESTIMATED
JERICHO` NORTH 31.84 EAST 35.41 ~ ESTIMATED
JERUSALEM` NORTH 31.77 EAST 35.22 ~ ESTIMATED
JOPPA` NORTH 32.03 EAST 34.73 ~ ESTIMATED
KADESH-BARNEA` NORTH 30.51 EAST 34.43 ~ ESTIMATED
LACHISH` NORTH 31.56 EAST 34.78 ~ ESTIMATED
LOD` NORTH 31.95 EAST 34.84 ~ ESTIMATED
MARATHUS` NORTH 34.75 EAST 35.93 ~ ESTIMATED
MEGIDDO` NORTH 32.57 EAST 35.18 ~ ESTIMATED
MIZPAH` NORTH 31.87 EAST 35.18 ~ ESTIMATED
MOZAH` NORTH 31.78 EAST 35.12 ~ ESTIMATED
ORTHOSIA` NORTH 34.55 EAST 35.98 ~ ESTIMATED
RABBATH-AMMON` NORTH 31.84 EAST 36.45 ~ ESTIMATED
SAMARIA` NORTH 32.23 EAST 35.16 ~ ESTIMATED
SAREPTA` NORTH 33.4 EAST 35.27 ~ ESTIMATED
SIDON` NORTH 33.52 EAST 35.34 ~ ESTIMATED
T. JAMMEH` NORTH 31.34 EAST 34.43 ~ ESTIMATED
TRIPOLIS` NORTH 34.48 EAST 35.93 ~ ESTIMATED
TYRE` NORTH 33.24 EAST 35.2 ~ ESTIMATED
WADI ED-DALIYA` NORTH 32.01 EAST 35.34 ~ ESTIMATED

In this phase of the project we would look for people to help us find the
latitude and longitude of cities of the bible.
In other phases, this will also work with entire kingdoms or paths people
took.
The computer version will be similar, except you type in a city name,
press Enter and it will appear on the map.
Instead of hundreds of maps to eat up your hard drive, a few will do the
same thing. The difference being.. the same map pops up, but simple ASCII
data will tell the program to highlight a few pixels on the map in red
when that city's name is typed in... Same process with journeys or
kingdoms.
Church study groups, schools could work on the project by entering data
in for cities.

More later if you are interested.
I put several other people in the Cc address who may or may not be
interested, so don't click on Reply. If interested join the group or you
can e-mail me at biblemaps@juno.com
You can also read my expansion on the idea from the archives if you don't
join Archives here
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bible_maps/messages
To send your ideas or contribute Yahoo requires you be a member.
Thanks

Oh yeah, if you have contacts you think might be into the idea, they can
join the group too. You can share your thoughts. If you join, you can
begin sending post to the group at bible_maps@yahoogroups.com

zendz

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!