[jsword-devel] BookDataListener: Question 1

Mark Goodwin jsword-devel@crosswire.org
13 May 2003 19:52:41 +0100

Hello.

I do care about J2ME devices.  I was thinking about porting JSword to
run on J2ME personal profile (and perhaps even older Personal Java)
devices a while before the subject came up on the list. I'm also
intrigued by the possibility of running some kind of Bible software on
smaller devices (MIDP phones, etc.); I've done a fair bit of MIDP stuff
at work, and feel this would be an interesting project.

I share Joe's gut feeling that it might be prudent to think in terms of
a separate tree because any embedded Bible is likely to need only a tiny
subset of the JSword functionality. Also it would be bad to leave a
clumsy API in JSword to accommodate something that is simple enough to
do separately.

Is it really worth compromising on size and efficiency on the embedded
devices, and compromising the cleanness of the API for everything else
just for the purpose of sharing a bit of code?

This is only a gut feeling though; I've not had a detailed enough look
to see what would need doing. Also it's been a while since I last did
any serious work on the project, so I'm unfamiliar with the newer bits.

If we were to keep the single tree, option 5 looks promising:  I can't
see depending on kxml being a problem (I've not used it before though).

MarkG