[jsword-devel] SOAP (was Re: J2ME bible and others)

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 11 May 2003 18:41:56 +0100

Jacky Cheung wrote:
 > I think it is possible to have a SOAP interface which is very different
 > from existing Bible or Book interface.
 >
 > We can implement a SOAPRemoter and SOAPRemoteBookDriver to talk to the
 > server through SOAP interface. There is a HTTPRemoter and
 > HTTPRemoteBookDriver in org.crosswire.jsword.book.remote package which
 > does similar thing with plain HTTP.
 >
 > Jacky

That was the original idea.
It would make implementing a SOAP interface very easy, however I'm not
totally convinced that it is the best way to do things.

Effectively there is a RemoteBible that implements Bible and it makes
calls to execute(RemoteMethod m) in an implementation of Remoter. So to
implement SOAPRemoter basically means needing 1 remote method implementaion.

However (at least with AXIS) I'm not sure that implementing 1 method and
not 5 or so saves much time. And it certainly makes the job of someone
looking at the WSDL trying to figure out what it going on much harder.

But I don't have strong feelings.

Joe.