J2ME bible (was Re: [jsword-devel] Re: Unable to check out from CVS)

Jacky Cheung jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 10 May 2003 08:28:16 +0800

--------------010003070604050601020006

Agreed. Some devices (like J2ME Phone) are too small to store a bible.
We need to search and retrieve them from Internet. For PCs, why we need
to install bibles at all if we can also search and retrieve bible,
dictionary, and commentary from Internet? When I was studying bible, I
can just read the text of other bible version immediately without
worrying about installing them. I can read BDB if I wanted to study the
meaning of the original text.

We can achieve it in this manner...
For bible services,
1. register itself to UDDI server on startup
2. serve for requests from clients

For the clients,
1. find all bible/dictionary/commentary web services from UDDI server
2. select one of the service (may be the program select it ramdomly)
3. connect to the service and get information (which bible is supported)
about it
4. do search/retrieve whatever the user want

Web services need not host every bible version. But we can access any
bible (at least those popular) if their enough people willing to host
bible for the use of others.

Yes, there are much to do and maybe out of the scope of this project.
But it is really worth doing and I think there is nobody else doing
something similar.

What do you think?

Jacky

Eric Galluzzo wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 08:04, Mark Derricutt wrote:
>

>>As for lite XML parsers - I have one a friend wrote which is very small,
>>non validating, which would work fine for small devices with a few fixes (
>>some old tests failed from memory ), its at idxml.sourceforge.net if anyone
>>wants to look.  Not looked at it in ages thou.
>>

>There's also a widely used J2ME/CLDC one called kXML (http://kxml.org/)
>-- I have no idea if it's better or worse than idXML. :)  However, I
>have heard that some J2ME devices (like cellphones) won't run
>applications that are over 50K, so squeezing any kind of Bible on a
>device like that would probably be impossible.  Perhaps it would be
>possible, however, to make calls using kSOAP or plain HTTP to retrieve
>verses via the Internet.
>
>	- Eric

--------------010003070604050601020006

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Agreed. Some devices (like J2ME Phone) are too small to store a bible. We
need to search and retrieve them from Internet. For PCs, why we need to install
bibles at all if we can also search and retrieve bible, dictionary, and commentary
from Internet? When I was studying bible, I can just read the text of other
bible version immediately without worrying about installing them. I can read
BDB if I wanted to study the meaning of the original text.<br>
We can achieve it in this manner...<br>
For bible services,<br>
1. register itself to UDDI server on startup<br>
2. serve for requests from clients<br>
For the clients,<br>
1. find all bible/dictionary/commentary web services from UDDI server<br>
2. select one of the service (may be the program select it ramdomly)<br>
3. connect to the service and get information (which bible is supported)
about it<br>
4. do search/retrieve whatever the user want<br>
Web services need not host every bible version. But we can access any bible
(at least those popular) if their enough people willing to host bible for
the use of others.<br>
Yes, there are much to do and maybe out of the scope of this project. But
it is really worth doing and I think there is nobody else doing something
similar.<br>
What do you think?<br>
Jacky<br>
Eric Galluzzo wrote:<br>
 cite="mid1052444989.15740.5.camel@localhost.localdomain">
    <pre wrap="">As for lite XML parsers - I have one a friend wrote which is very small,
non validating, which would work fine for small devices with a few fixes (
some old tests failed from memory ), its at idxml.sourceforge.net if anyone
wants to look.  Not looked at it in ages thou.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
There's also a widely used J2ME/CLDC one called kXML (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://kxml.org/">http://kxml.org/</a>)