[jsword-devel] osis and jaxb

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 02 Jan 2003 23:54:26 +0000

Currently JSword uses its own XML format to represent Bible data before
it gets to the view (to use MVC terms)

I've always thought that it would be better to use a standard and it
would seem that OSIS is it. I've read through the schema, and it seems
to do just what we need.

I fancy taking some short cuts by using JAX-B to generate a parser and
some Java classes to help us work with OSIS data.

Troy, do you have any string feelings about how we should generate
classes to represent OSIS data?

I've also generated some HTML and word docs from the OSIS spec to make
it easier to navigate because I couldn't find anything at
http://www.bibletechnologies.net. Are you interested?

This is all a bit blue-sky right now - I'm working on getting Lexicon
and Dictionary support working, but it should be done soon.

Joe.