[jsword-devel] Re: [sword-devel] i18n of sword website

jsword-devel@crosswire.org jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:22:34 -0500

In Mozilla, we use ENTITY in DTD for XUL (XML based ui) files. We modify the expat to read in those DTD file based on a chrome locale.
In C and JavaScript file while we need to display UI in the run time, we use Java's Property file format.

Look at http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_tools.html#leveraging for details of leveraging tools. Those tools are written in Java and know hwo to deal with dtd file Java property file format. It will encode to the correct text encoding and perform version to version levearaging. However, it is not mainly design for web page localization.

You can use the gettext package if you want to use it to do the author trigger dynamic content generation which I described in other email as option 4. I think gettext is pretty popular in Linux these days and probably easy to find tools to deal with it. I have not touch gettext stuff for 12 years. My knowledge about gettext is mainly those in SVR3.2 and SVR4 time in 1990-1991, so cannot help too much here without more research. The other technology which used to compiete with gettext is the XPG3 open_cat/get_cat/close_cat (or cat_open/cat_get/cat_close) stuff. Not sure which one is more popular these days.