[jsword-devel] Sword drivers

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:00:37 +0100

Mark wrote:

>We're still missing useful implementations of findPassage, getStartsWith
>and listWords.  This means that searches do not work on sword modules.
>I've not taken a look at what's involved in implementing this
>functionality.

Would I be right in thinking that currently Sword (C++) does a brute
force search mechanism? If so then getting up to the same level
shouldn't be too hard, although I suspect that the Java version will be
un-workably slow.

So are there any plans for how to do word indexes in the C++ version? Or
did I miss it being implemented?

The SerBible indexing mechanism is fairly Java specific. It isn't based
on serialization, but the binary format is tailored to Java, so we
couldn't just cut and paste the code across. On the other hand we could
have a dynamic indexing mechanism where we generate an index on the fly
when we see a new version - that way we could be as Java specific as we
liked.

Joe.