[jsword-devel] JSword for the masses (Part 2)

Joe Walker jsword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:23:15 +0100

Hi,

Mark Goodwin wrote:

>Right then.
>
>To get JSword working on 1.3.1 two changes need to be made:
>
>javax.swing.JToolBar.setRollover(boolean) is a 1.4 method.  Should we
>remove this line, or get the java.version property and only invoke this
>methind if java.version > 1.4.  The former allows us to build on 1.3,
>the latter makes things look nicer on newer Java versions.

I think we can do this using reflection. If we get a
MethodNotFoundException (or whatever it is called - Mozilla Mail doesn't
do keyword expansion ;-) then don't call invoke() because we must be on 1.3

>java.net.URLEncoder.encode(String,String) does not exist in 1.3, but
>URLEncoder.encode(String) is deprecated in 1.4.  Hmm.  Another tricky
>one.  Which do we go for?

Don't have strong feelings. Hack using relfection or incur a deprecation
- they both seem equally bad. Maybe encode(String), compile against 1.3,
run against 1.4 (where available) is the best solution.

>Getting JSword working on 1.2.x looks somewhat more involved, the
>problems are mostly to do with various Action operations on subclasses
>of AbstractButton.  I may have a look at this soon if people feel it's
>worth doing.

I think we should support the JDKs our users a forced to use. I know of
users on Windows (1.4.1), Linux (1.4.1), MacOS (1.3), but I don't know
of anyone wanting to use a 1.2 or lower system. Shout if you are!

Joe