[bt-devel] NASB Unlock Key

Jaak Ristioja jaak at ristioja.ee
Sun Jan 5 14:35:45 MST 2020

Dear Peter,

I really wish it were as simple as adding amending a few vague
statements. But actually, the specification is just plain incorrect in
many ways not so easily amendable.

For example, the tutorial states that "whitespace can be around the = as
well." and also gives an example: "ModDrv   =     zText". This is
incorrect at least in part, because in such cases, SWConfig parses the
key as "ModDrv   " (with including the whitespace).

For another example, there are issues with the so-called "continuation
lines". Whereas http://wiki.crosswire.org/DevTools:conf_Files states
these are allowed in some places and not in others, it seems to me that
continuation lines are allowed and work everywhere (as that logic seems
to be incorporated into FileMgr::getLine() which SWConfig uses to read
lines). Additionally, the tutorial states that under the "Continuation"
section the following:

  This is not a mechanism to make long lines more readable
  in the module.conf file. It is a means to introducing a
  break in the rendered output of that field when viewed by
  a front-end or installer. It is akin to a xHTML <br/>.
  That is, continuation is a formatting feature.

Please correct me, but it seems exactly the opposite, because the
backslashes are stripped by FileMgr::getLine() so nothing can turn them
into line breaks later. Continuation lines are simply a feature to make
module.conf files more readable.

There are also several other issues, but its not the issues themselves
that are holding me back. I think the greater obstacle is that in
reality requires talks, exchange of information and much cooperation
with Sword developers, including them fixing and improving the engine.
But Sword developers are not that interested (see Troy's email dated
Sun, 5 Jan 2020 13:23:40 -0700), they don't see such issues as big
problems. And in the end frontend developers like us have to grind our
teeth while hacking around their technically "wonderful" library.

As long as Sword developers continue to ignore most of our technical
concerns, I don't see how me amending the wiki could be a solution. The
best I could do is to document the brokenness. I don't see how it were
possible for me to do better without more cooperation from the Sword
developers, but it seems that once again we will not getting any of
that... ;-\