[bt-devel] bibletime.desktop

Israel israeldahl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 09:01:23 MST 2018

On 01/26/2018 10:02 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> Fedora packaging is reporting two warnings with our desktop file. The
> first is relating to our Categories. It suggests enhancing them with
> the following message: "hint: value item "Dictionary" in key
> "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" can be extended with another
> category among the following categories: Office, or TextTools"
>
> Obvious that's not necessary, but it's something we might consider.
> The other item is more correct. It observes that we list "bibletime"
> as the name of our icon file, but no image file named "bibletime" is
> present in the installed source. Rather we install bibletime.{svg,png}
> both to the icon folder, which I presume is what we're wanting to
> state. I'm not sure which of these we would prefer, but we should
> probably fix the file to properly identify the icon to use.
>
> --Greg

Hi Greg,

Here is the desktop entry spec from freedesktop:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/ar01s06.html

Using relative names in the Icon is preferred, this way icon theme
maintainers can provide whatever format they want.  Using hardlinks, or
file extensions is not recommended, so Fedora packaging is reporting
erroneous errors, as the BibleTime desktop file is correct (in the Icon
field).  Please do not make this change, I like the Numix Circle Icon I
currently use, though others might like their Icon theme of choice.

Here is the Menu entry spec:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

I would also not suggest putting it in Office, since it is in Education
already.  This would cause a sort of randomness to where it was located
in various desktop environments (LXQt may do it differently than KDE,
and all the other DE/WM people might use).  I don't think Dictionary is
a good choice since it also relates to Office:

Here is the additional categories spec:

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apas02.html

--
Regards