[bt-devel] Flatpak Distribution

Gary Holmlund gary.holmlund at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 11:24:15 MST 2017

I have been experimenting with using flatpaks as a distribution for
BibleTime. I as looked at snaps as a distribution method, but I believe
that flatpaks are better.

For those who don't know, flatpaks and snaps basically package up the
application and all the libraries needed to run it. This allows the same
package to run on a variety of linux distributions. It also causes the
installation size to be large. They typically contain the application
and perhaps some libraries, but also require a runtime library package
to be downloaded. The runtime library could be shared by other applications.

I have created a flatpak for BibleTime. I have tested it on the
following platforms:
     ubuntu 17.10,  kununtu 17.10,  ubuntu gnome 17.04, ubuntu gnome 16.04,
     fedora 27,  fedora 26,  arch,  debian 9

In the installation instructions below, the runtime library
org.kde.Platform, is provided by flathub.org. The BibleTime application
is provided by my server, holmlund.info. The BibleTime application will
later be hosted on flathub.org. (Xiphos is already there)

The instructions assume you have the flatpak command installed. For help
with this see https://flatpak.org/getting.html

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

wget holmlund.info/pub.gpg

flatpak remote-add   --gpg-import=pub.gpg   bibletime.repo
https://holmlund.info/repo

flatpak install  bibletime.repo  info.bibletime.BibleTime

To run BibleTime from the command line:

flatpak run info.bibletime.BibleTime

The first time may be slower than others. Depending upon your linux
distribution, you may be able to search for BibleTime and find the
graphical start up icon.

Please reply to this with any feedback.

Gary Holmlund