[bt-devel] Getting started

John B. Turpish jbt at gmx.us
Sat Jan 12 19:53:11 MST 2013

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming!

Jaak:
I had received an email from Thomas Abthorpe offering to sign me up for
the wiki before reading this one, so I went ahead and asked him to set
me up.
The "Join Us" directions actually didn't tell me to get the source from
sourceforge, and I hadn't - I had already used gitorious as recommended
on the wiki's main page <http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Main_Page>.
What it does say is, " We need your username to add you to the team
members list, to assign tasks to you, etc.", so I had assumed
sourceforge was being used for a bug tracker. Do you have some other
issue tracking being used?
What sort of refactoring did you have in mind? Just basic decomposition
and maybe DRY stuff? Anything specific bothering you? Even if I don't do
anything too extensive at least I should keep the project's direction in
mind so if I do do anything it will be in the right direction.
As for retranslateUi...
$find src -type f -exec grep -vl retranslateUi '{}' + | xargs grep -l
'tr(' | wc -l
94
Seems to me the sort of thing I'd keep in mind to do to whichever file I
may touch for whatever other reason more than something I'm likely to
sit down and do all at once. I don't want to sound like a jerk, I just
know that with my other commitments (job, family, other projects) plus
my general lack of stick-to-it-iveness... I don't want to overcommit and
make promises I may not keep.

Gary:
Thanks for the link to the coding guidelines. They seem to me to be
fairly liberal with most of the rules being fairly common-sense
industry-standard stuff. That's good for me because it should be easyish
to follow.
One thing that did stand out to me: the file heading
<http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Programming_Guidelines#Headers_and_implementations>
does not include the Trinitarian Formula, which seems to have been
recommended over here <http://devel.bibletime.info/wiki/Junior_Jobs>.
So, is it desired or not? Part of the reason I ask - since I had seen
that in "Junior Jobs" I started writing a script to do that to all the
headers. I didn't finish because the train announced it was approaching
my stop, and I won't bother picking that back up if it's not desired.