[bt-devel] Allow me to introduce myself.

Kevin Shenk mailbox at kevinshenk.com
Sat Feb 26 19:24:27 MST 2011

Hi Developers,

I just wanted to let you know I just joined the BibleTime development
mailing list.  I'm a Christian, a computer enthusiast, and a Linux/KDE user,
so I'm very interested in this project.  I've actually been using this
program for many years now, and always have had a desire to contribute to
it's development.  I'm not ready to start developing quite yet, but I'd like
to see how you guys operate and where you are going with this project.

I have several motives which fuel my interests here.  I love to study the
Bible.  BibleTime seems to be the most advanced Linux Bible study software
so far, but it could use many improvements, and I'd love to be part of
that.  Secondly, I have some close friends who are involved in a Bible
translation organisation, and I think it'd be cool to implement features
which would be useful to them in that field.  Thirdly, I really enjoy
working with computers, and although my work involves programming in Object
Basic and SQL, I always wanted to learn in C++ and QT.  It's hard for me to
learn if there's no specific motivation, and improving BibleTime could be
very motivational for me.

I'm chock full of ideas, and I find it easy to speak my mind, but I hope I
can be helpful and not annoying.  I have several aspirations for moderate
changes in the application, like an accordion navigation pane for the
bookshelf instead of the list tree view, an MDI search window, auto-loading
chapters, a breadcrumbs reference navigation panel, better cross-reference
integration, etc.  Most of these changes would probably only be feasible for
a major future version (like 3.0?) but I'd love to know how you guys
brainstorm, make design decisions, what your road-map looks like, and if and
how I can fit into all of that.

There are several other factors in my life which will determine whether I'll
actually ever be able to actively contribute to this project.  I suppose for
now I'll just sit back, be quiet (that might be hard), and watch you guys
work.

God Bless!

Kevin Shenk