[bt-devel] Bt 2.9 Feature - Parallel Bible and Commentary

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:04:02 MST 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Gary Holmlund <gary.holmlund at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we won't have a meeting immediately, I will suggest a feature I have
> been looking into.
>
> Now in our Bible window we can have parallel Bible versions, but the
> commentary can only be in another window and we use the sync icon to have
> that window track any verse change in the Bible window.
>
> I have prototyped selecting a commentary as a parallel item in a Bible
> window. Both use the same verse key references and I found little problem
> with this. The main issue I found was that various places use the first
> module and its type (Bible versus commentary) to determine what to do. So
> the restriction would be that there must always be a Bible module as the
> first module. The seems to make sense in a Bible window so I don't feel bad
> about that. This can be enforced by designing the UI in the module choosers
> such that you can't remove the last Bible module.
>
> The module choosers (toolbar icons and the parallel text headers) are the
> main items that I would need to finish changing. For the Bible window they
> will need to deal with multiple languages and two categories of modules.
>
> Here is a picture of what it would look like.
> http://sourcearchives.com/downloads/parallel.png
>
> What do you think?

I think this is a highly useful and very desirable feature.  In fact,
I thought it was already implemented!  Both Commentaries and Bibles
are treated almost identically inside of SWORD, so this shouldn't be
terribly much different on the interating-with-the-library side of
things.

I definitely think this is a great idea!

--Greg