[bt-devel] QtWebKit DOM access

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Tue Jan 13 12:24:43 MST 2009

Daniel Glassey wrote:

> I can't suggest offhand which of the many ways to do that would be
> best for you, but things like git and bzr can interact with svn and be
> used for local version control. Then you can 'publish' your repo to a
> webspace.

I have previously suggested using a git repo for easier experimental
development. It has one downside: external git commits don't work with
svn because commiters don't match. In practice it means that all patches
which a developer takes in to his codebase before commiting them to svn
must be plain patches, not git commits. So, if we have a git repo and
Gary pushes his changes there, I can't just pull them and commit them to
our svn repo. And if I have understood correctly, neither can Gary. We
both have use our svn accounts to commit to svn and our git repo
accounts can't be directly translated to svn accounts. We have to apply
the git commits as patches to our private codebase and then commit to
the svn with our svn accounts. Then we loose the git history.

git-svn "gateway" works a bit differently. It creates a private git repo
and when you commit to svn you use you svn account and git-svn
"translates" the git commits to svn commits. But this git repo probably
can't be used publicly in an effective way. I may be wrong - if someone
knows better, I would love to hear. It would be great to be able to keep
a public git repo.

--Eeli Kaikkonen