[bt-devel] 1.6beta1 -- suggestion

Martin Gruner mg.pub at gmx.net
Tue Mar 21 10:25:16 MST 2006

Hi Jim,

> It would be nice to be able to enable/disable this feature with an
> option (like a checkbox on the configuration dialog).  Also, I feel that
> It would be good for users to be able to see this functionality and
> provide feedback to us.  This way we could make it even better in the
> next release.

I agree.

> Slightly off topic...
>     I did a profile of the advanced Strong's feature.  I found that most
> of the time is spent in RenderSingleKey and ultimately in the sword
> library.  From what I could find, the only way to speed things up is to
> optimize sword or use indexing.

Yes. The reason (IIRC) is that whenever we use EntryAttributes to get the
phrase that a certain strong's number's word is translated with, Sword
actually RENDERS the text, applying all filters etc. That is a very costly
process, and therefore we need to change this to run once and feed it into
another index. But that will come later. For now an option to toggle would be
nice.

mg