[bt-devel] Re: Hebrew text rendering

anthony kerr anton_kylie at pacific.net.au
Wed Jun 22 23:40:12 MST 2005

Martin

I have done some further investigation, and now I think it
might be an issue with the Hebrew module.

I have been looking at 1 Sam 3:1 lately, I'll draw some
examples from here, by comparing the WLC module and the
text found at http://www.mechon-mamre.org/c/ct/c08a03.htm

The mechon-mamre text does render properly in konqueror, in
this case the WLC bibletime text also renders properly with
the cantillation marks turned on, BUT it doesn't with
cantillation marks turned off.

I copied the 2nd last word of vs 1 "vision" into yudit from
both sources and found different unicode encodings.

Cantillation marks on
  mechon mamre has for the waw  - [fb4b] 05d5 05b9
                                for the zayin  - 05d6 0596

  WLC has for the waw  - 05d5
                for the zayin  - 05d6 05b9 0596

Cantillation marks off
  mechon mamre has for the waw  - [fb4b] 05d5 05b9
                                for the zayin  - 05d6

  WLC has for the waw  - 05d5
                for the zayin  - 05d6 05b9

It appears that the holem in the WLC module is binding to
the zayin, and not the waw. Now this is not a problem with
cantillation marks turned on, but it is when they are off.
It appears that fb4b is part of the unicode standard and
thusmay be a better encoding.

please see www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFB00.pdf

What do you think?

hope this helps