[bt-devel] Integration into KDE (e.g. KDEEDU)

Wed Jun 1 18:53:34 MST 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 04:33 pm, Joachim Ansorg wrote:
> Hi Heiko, David,
> I have several problems including BibleTime into KDE:
> 	-Man power. We just have one developer actively working on the project's
> code and doing the organisational things. My time is limited in the time I
> have tests in university and I got more of it in the vacations. So that
> doesn't fir well with the KDE schedule where we may not add new things or
> have to fix stuff in a limited period of time.

But then again with the greater exposure may get us more volunteers which
means more manpower. If nothing else it's a greater pool of people who would
be able to test and find bugs, like the chapter highlight bug that plagued us
until  I went in and put debugging out put on it to see what was going on.

> 	-My faith :) Although I don't see a problem to use BibleTime somewhere to
> support christian in the best way and I even think offering a Quran module
> might be a valuable ressource for (some) christians. But I will never
> remove anything like the Bible study howto or the daily tips which include
> scripture quotes from the standard BibleTime package. And having these
> things in it will surely offend the (mostly, I guess) atheistic KDE
> developers, translators and users all over the world so they'd remove that
> stuff. -We'd loose our independence as a project. We'd be forced to follow
> guidelines, feature plans, and more which are not made by christians. I
> fear that our motivation and plans will collide with KDE's understanding of
> development.

Valid concerns definitely. Though I think we should make sure they're well
founded, ie we should make sure that the community would want us to remove
those things. And of course, since BibleTime is gpl, they can always remove
them themselves before packaging which they are able to do so now. So, for
instance, mandrake could remove them from BibleTime and all we could do about
it is ask them not to, or to not call it BibleTime.

As for things like feature plans, I've seen that mostly the project themselves
define those, not kde as a whole.

> On the other hand, we'd need more volunteers for things like translations
> and icons. But I'm not going to leave my aims with BibleTime behind just to
> get more volunteers.

Agreed

> My personal conclusion is that we need more volunteers in the BibleTime
> team itself and that we, the developers, need to encourage and support this
> in a better way. I'd like to get a team spirit for the people in the
> BibleTime team so we can do the work together and not alone so we can
> provide christians using Linux with a better tool all over the world.

I think we should do these things myself. But these things are not opposed to
us joining KDE official as well.

> I hope my tone wasn't too harsh. It's not meant to be :)

Not at all, this is one of those things that I believe should be debated at
length to make sure that we consider all points of view. And of course it
should be prayed about as well.