[bt-devel] CVS development

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:41:22 +0200

After talking with Troy, I need to correct 2 statements:

> It does not need to be that highly
> optimized, I take it, but it needs to be far more logically structured than
> it is now.

It does indeed need to be optimized, very fast, that is.

> Atm it is almost impossible to add something without breaking
> something else.

Troy: "The reason changing anything breaks something else isn't because the
code sucks  (even though it does); it's because we have so many silly,
undocumented rules that we have to consider for parsing. That's why I want to
get the regression tests up to par, so we can have something to test against
when working on that code.
Chris added a few more cases in the regression tests for the parser
We need to get a trial of all types of parsing...

 My worry about someone else working on that code is that they don't have the
history in my brain of all the cases we've had to add over the years.  But
the fact is, that _I_ don't have much of that history anymore either! :)  So
it's best to get it all mapped out in a regression test.  Then anyone can
work on it, and if it passes and is fast, then I don't care who does the
work."

Martin