[bt-devel] Fwd: Dusplay bug - was Re: Typographical errors in handbook

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:37:26 +0100

This is a bugreport from Fred. Joachim, maybe you have the time to look at it?

Martin

Subject: Dusplay bug - was Re: Typographical errors in handbook
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:22:35 -0500
From: Fred Saalbach <saalbach@sybercom.net>
To: Martin Gruner <mg.pub@gmx.net>, Joachim Ansorg <jansorg@gmx.de>

I think I have found the bug, and fortunately it seems to be a simple

one.  After I received your message, I attempted to open bibletime.

The result is below (at the end of the message.  This led me to

compare the fonts configure dialog with the information in

 /.kde/share/config/bibletimerc

I found

[fonts]
standard=bitstream cyberbit,14,0,22,50,1
unicode=helvetica,11,0,22,50,0

I changed it to read

[fonts]
standard=helvetica,11,0,22,50,0
unicode=bitstream cyberbit,14,0,22,50,1

now bibletime loads but in the font configure dialog is see

standard

Bitstream cyberbit

iso-10646-1

----------

Previously I was attempting to set

unicode

Bitstream cyberbit

iso-10646-1

and

Standard

Bitstream cyberbit

iso-8859-1

-------------

I thing this dialog needs to be reworked a bit.

1.    Either i misinterpreted the instructions

      in the dialog, or the tags for standard and unicode

      are reversed in the dialog from what they should be.

2.    Is this setting really necessary?  Could the enabling

      of unicode be automatic?  The main use I see for the selection is for

      the case where a module being displayed is an

      iso-8859-2 through whatever encoding.  If a document is

      iso-10646-1, X should be able to select the correct font

      as long as an iso-10646-1 font exists.

3.    What is supposed to occur is a display window is opened that

      requires iso-8859-1, another that requires iso-8859-2, and a

      third that requires iso-8859-3?  (as more documents are

      converted to iso-10646-1 this issue should go away).

4.    Can we trap

(BibleTime 1.1beta2) _FATAL_: QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any
 reasonable font

    so that bibletime reverts to the default font and issues an error like

    'font requested was not fount, using default font.' rather than crashing?

--

I thought I understood the above however while trying to get things

to display correctly for a second time I experienced several crashes

and was unable to get bibletime to display my set of test cases

(IGNT, ThaiKJV, ChiGu, and Aleppo (he)) a second time.

I am able to eliminate the crash by deleting the configuration

files (which recreates the default configuration files).  Now I am

baffled; however, I think there is a bug in the font selection procedure.

I loaded clearlyu font and had the same reversed font issue in

/.kde/share/config/bibletimerc noted earlier.  IGNT loaded correctly.

Best Regards

Fred Saalbach

Martin Gruner wrote:
> Hello Fred,
>
> > OK, I have replaced all of the instances of "presenter" and
> > "groupmanager" as you requested.  Are their any other typographical
> > errors I need to clean up?
>
> No. Thanks!
>
> > You will find a draft of the "fonts" note in the handbook in the section
> > covering configuring the font for bibletime to use.  This is supposed to
> > explain how to add UTF-8 fonts, however I have not actually been able to
> > make this work correctly.  I sent Jochim some screen prints of the
> > display off list as he requested.  The problem exists only for languages
> > that do not use western european characters.  I have proven that the
> > character data is available in the presenter in UTF-8 by using copy and
> > paste into kate.
>
> Mmh. This is really strange and serious, by the way. Are you sure you set
> the UNICODE font in BibleTIme correcly? When clicking module->about in the
> main index, does it indicate that the module is actually unicode?

Yes

> There might be a
> tag missing in the .conf files if they're too old. Could you check that?

If you are referring to /.kde/share/config/bibletimerc, I get the same
 results arter having bibletime generate a fresh copy.   I do not know enough
 about what belongs in the config files in the CVS to be able to tell you
 anthing here.  I did update the CVS late last week.

> > After the copy and paste into kate using the font 'Bitstream Syberbit'
> > all of the text looks reasonably good.  The only problem I had with this
> > font is that probably due to it's large size (something like 12.7Mb
> > covering 36000 symbols) applications take longer than normal to load
>
> Yeah. I personally use clearlyu, which is small and sufficient for me now.
> Bitstream is overkill (don't need to read persian ;).

I dont need to either, and there may also be an issue about left to right and
right to left fonts.  I dont know enough about my test cases to know.

> > I would like to make sure that either we can get these documents to
> > present correctly, or add a note that this does not work yet and is
> > expected to be fixed at the next revision.
>
> Definitely. This font thingy is actually a bug and must be solved. Let us
> know.
>
> Martin

------------------------------
[fks00@localhost fks00]$ bibletime
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: CStyle::load:
/home/fks00/.kde/share/apps/bibletime/printingstyles/Standard.xml
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: type = 0
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has enabled!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has alignment!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: alignment is 0
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has colors!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: type = 1
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has enabled!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has alignment!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: alignment is 0
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has colors!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: type = 2
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has enabled!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has alignment!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: alignment is 0
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) WARNING: has colors!
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) _FATAL_: QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any
 reasonable font
Please contact info@bibletime.de and report this bug!*** BibleTime got signal
 6 (Crashing). Trying to save settings.
*** Saving seemed to be succesful. If restoring does not work on next startup
please use the option --ignore-startprofile
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = bibletime path = <unknown> pid = 8509
QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any reasonable font
[fks00@localhost fks00]$ bibletime  --ignore-startprofile
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) _FATAL_: QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any
 reasonable font
Please contact info@bibletime.de and report this bug!KCrash: crashing....
crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = bibletime path = <unknown> pid = 8978
QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any reasonable font
[fks00@localhost fks00]$ bibletime  --ignore-startprofile
(BibleTime 1.1beta2) _FATAL_: QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any
 reasonable font
Please contact info@bibletime.de and report this bug!KCrash: crashing....
crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = bibletime path = <unknown> pid = 9091
QFont::lastResortFont: Cannot find any reasonable font
[fks00@localhost fks00]$