[bt-devel] 31295 - saving search to disk

Martin Gruner bt-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:50:19 +0200

Hey Mark,

I'm really happy you want to help.

> First, on saving the search analysis to disk.  I guess it might help a
> little to understand what the saved search analysis will be used for. Is
> this envisioned to be a text file that the user could print off or
> something?

Yes, I think so. But since everybody who has BT installed can view HTML we
should create a HTML file.

> Maybe the search text in the first line, then each following
> line would contain a book, and the number of times the result was found?

My thoughts: a header section with some general information (e.g. search
string, searched modules, range, matching algorithm, maybe date and username),
then a table with the search analysis (columns represent bible books, rows
represent modules; maybe some additional values like %of all matches etc.)
And a footer with created by BibleTime Version on Date on Machine or similar.
Just let your fantasy play...

>   I see that the individual verses in the search result can be saved, so
> I can look there for examples.

I just saw this saves to text files. Could you please change this to HTML
too? Maybe even featuring the red markup for matches?

> Second is the item concerning the display of the number of results found
> for each book in the search analysis tab.  Joachim made the comment that
> the this point could be solved by the tooltips.  Indeed, when my mouse
> hovers over a book title under this tab, a tooltop pops up showing how
> many items were found in that book.  Do we still want to display the
> number on the screen aside from the tool tips?  If so, I'll throw out
> the possibility of placing the number found above the graph.

Well if you have a simple way which looks good then place them on the graph
too. But it is not really necessary because the tooltip solution is very good
imo. If modules are searched parallel it might become difficult imo.

once again thanks for you help,
blessings,

Martin